Some days the small accomplishments prove the greatest in satisfaction.
I’ve been on vacation recently and only tonight spent time in the shop, mostly cleaning but also deciding which task I should approach next. The Roubo won out, partly because I have a few things left to do and mostly because those things are simple or so I thought.
The last two pieces I have to put in place to truly say I am done, is to drill the holes in the leg opposite the leg vise for the hold-down and then sand and apply the finish. So I assumed that I could drill the holes no problem with my brace and 3/4 bit.
However, for some reason, whenever I would insert the bit into the brace, it wouldn’t “lock into place”, i.e. not turn. It didn’t matter how tightly I turned the chuck, it still would spin as soon as I began to drill. This was driving me bananas. I had a seemingly identical 5/8 bit that worked fine.
My first thought was that the base of the bit was too big and wouldn’t fit, so I sanded it down slightly. Turns out it was too small to engage the 4 sides in the bottom of the chuck.
So I took the plunge and broke out the grinder. I figured if I ground down a small amount on the end of the bit (say 1/8″ or so) it would seat properly into the base of the chuck. Here’s a shot of the 3/4 bit after grinding:
And a comparison shot of the 5/8″ & 3/4″ bits:
And of interest to me-the basic parts of the disassembled brace:
With the grinding done, I seated the bit into the brace and voila, it worked! In less than 10 minutes I had the three holes drilled out in the leg and the Veritas hold-down inserted and ready to go.
Here’s a few parting shots of the bench. Only thing left is a final sanding and then applying the finish:
Once the bench is finished I can make my move this weekend on the dining room table. Things are moving right along.