Partial Projects

As I continue to come up with reasons to put off completing the file cabinet which I started over a month ago I’ve been opening the case files of a few other projects not quite finished. Like the shoji screen I’m building for a family member….there seems to be a pattern here.

Anyways, the jaguchi joint where the rail and stile meet is a particularly challenging affair and this particular iteration is the closest I’ve come to getting it right. There is an unsightly gap on the back side which is partially an issue with cleaning out the double mortise and tenon but all around it came out halfway decent. In place of using a Japanese chamfer plane, I used my low-angle block plane and cut the chamfers by eye. Here are the results:

IMG_4057

IMG_4058

IMG_4059

IMG_4060

Advertisements