In choosing to begin fresh with a more direct intent, I wanted to try my hand at a basic Shaker Meetinghouse Bench. Christian Becksvoort has a nice how-to in Fine Woodworking 231 that I used for my first try. Eventually I’ll use Cherry for the later benches, but for this first attempt I used a single piece of Poplar. The final dimensions ended being approximately 18″ x 9″ x 7″. The most difficult step was fitting the corner braces accurately.
I started with the legs, cutting out the arch with a fret saw and smoothing it out with a rasp and then successive grits of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. After that I cut out the two tenons that mate to the bench top.
Moving along, the fit of the tenoned legs to the bench top was a bit tight and I ended up cracking the top but overall the fit wasn’t terrible and was a good reminder of why it’s a smart idea to build a mock-up first. It makes the mistakes that much easier to live with.
Fitting the braces was next and was the most challenging part of the process. My first brace was pretty awful but the second (after forcing myself to slow down) came out much better.
…and the second attempt…